Sunday 2nd Sept
Carbury Champions of Connacht
Leagues of to a Flyer while Carbury are Champions of Connacht

The league got into full swing this week first game to kick off was North Sligo Boys Benbulben who took up the challenge of Gurteen Celtic in the Andrew Mullens Sligo Pallets Premier League on Friday night at the Astro on Cleveragh. Both sides settled well and played an opening attacking game both defences were strong and, in the end, both sides shared the points in a scoreless encounter.
Whatever about the shortage of goals in the opening game we had a total of twenty-five goals in the Andrew Mullen Premier league games played on Sunday. Arrow Harps welcomed Coolaney United to the Community Park Riverstown and the home side were two goals up at the break thanks to strikes from Oisin Gilmartin and the Big Man Anthony Elding. Coolaney United were back in contention on sixty-five minutes when Cahill Davey hammered home a fine goal. However, the celebrations were short lived when a minute later the Big Man Anthony Elding netted the third goal that sealed the points for Arrow Harps. One sad note was the clash of heads between team mates John Paul Henry and Declan Walsh we wish both players a full and speedy recovery.
Cartron United travelled to Real Tubber where they got off to a flyer hitting Tubber for three without reply. Cartron were a gaol up at the break thanks to Gavin Sweeney and the second half belonged to Colin Feehily who scored twice and wrapped up the points for Cartron.
Cliffoney Celtic were at home to Chaffpool United in a roller coaster of a game The Pool were three one up at the half way stage Hughie Marren netting twice and Conor Prendergast on target for the Pool with Bartley Clancy scoring for Cliffoney who also had Alan Gregg dismissed by referee Stephen Fallon. Things looked bleak for the North Sligo club but in the face of adversity they rose to the challenge with Christopher Keaney scoring twice and a goal each from Niall Sheerin and Mark Burns snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.
Tireragh FC under the watchful eye of the Maestro Michael Hynes fielded a very young team for their home clash against St Johns. Tireragh lead at the break thanks to a goal from Stephen Feeney. St Johns had Graham Reilly Sent off and then Tireragh goal keeper Mark O Hara was sent off an indiscretion St Johns were able to maximize the pressure on the Tireragh defence with Conor Brennan banging home a hat trick and Evan Davey adding a fourth given St John’s a great away despite. The game was late kicking off due to a clash of colours.
In the great Southern Hotel Super League newly promoted Merville United got off to a flyer at home to Aughanagh Celtic. Merville with a goal from Donagh Crowne lead at the break and a goal apiece from Ryan Hargadon and Graham Irwin seen them three goals to the good until the sixty-eight minute when the Man with the Golden Boot Paul Mc Tiernan pulled a gaol back for Aughanagh Celtic. But any hopes of a comeback were killed off when Ex St John’s hitman Malachy Spratt scoring on his debut and sealing the points for a jubilant Merville United.
Ballisodare United fielding six of their Young Guns coming through the ranks of their superb Youth System were at home to last seasons Super League Champions Leitrim Kingpins Manor Rangers who lead by three goals to one at the break courtesy of goals from Paul Clancy Alan Hickey and Ciaran Mc Loughlin. Ballisodare responded with a strike from Adam Grace who scored his second goal shortly after the restart to bring Ballisodare within a goal of there more illustrious opponents. But again Manor moved ahead with a fine goal from Shane Walsh and yet Ballisodare responded with an excellent finish from Darragh Healy but in the end Ex Yeats United and Calry Bohs journey Man Paul Logan on his debut wrapped up the points for Manor Rangers in this nine goal thriller.
The Summa Sports Connacht Champions Cup Final took place on Friday night at The Curragh Grounds Ballinasloe. Co. Galway.
Carbury having beaten Connacht Champions Mervue and Mayo Kingpins Westport United were away for the third time for this Final encounter to take up the Challenge of Galway Champions Athenry FC.
This game proved to be a great nights football with both sides playing an open attacking game with Carbury emerging victorious by the odd goal in three, the winner a spectacular 60 yard effort from Carbury’s Aaron Murrin who also won the Man of the Match Award.

The following players are suspended for their next game and each fined €30 Alan Gregg Cliffoney Celtic Mark O Hara Alan Tireragh FC.
Graham Reilly St Johns FC 2 Match Suspension €30 Fine (Foul & Abusive Language)
Suspensions may be increased following the Match Official’s full Report.
No Result St Johns FC €50 Fine.
All fines payable with 7 Days to league Treasurer Robert Kennedy 69 Cloondara Ballisodare Co Sligo.

Result Friday 31stAugust

The Curragh Ballinasloe Co Galway

Summa Sports Connacht Cup Final

Athenry FC1 - 2Carbury FC

Results Sunday 2nd Sept

Great Southern Hotel Sligo Super League

Ballymote Celtic3 – 0 Calry Bohs
Merville Utd 4 - 1Aughanagh Celtic
Ballisodare United4 - 5Manor Rangers

Sligo Pallets Premier League

St John’s FC1 - 4Tireragh FC
Chaffpool Utd3 - 5Cliffoney Celtic
Benbulben FC0 - 0Gurteen Celtic
Real Tubber0 - 3Cartron Utd
NFC Academy0 - 3Riverstown Masters
Arrow Harps3 - 1Coolaney United

Sligo Southern Hotel Super League

1Merville United
2Manor Rangers
3Ballymote Celtic
4Carbury FC
5Glenview Stars
7Strand Celtic FC
8Ballisodare United
9Aughanagh Celtic
10Calry Bohs

Sligo Pallets Premier League

1Arrow Harps
2Cartron United F.C.
3Cliffoney Celtic
4St. John's FC
5Benbulben FC
6Gurteen Celtic
7Chaffpool United
8Coolaney United
9Real Tubber
10Riverstown Masters
11Tireragh FC
12NFC Academy

02/09/2018 15:23